How To Become An Internal Auditor
The best way to become an internal auditor is with a master's degree in accounting or business administration from an accredited school. Aspiring auditors should also get experience working at a company as an accountant or auditor before applying for full-time positions at companies as internal auditors.
Internal auditors work in a variety of industries to examine the books and records of a company to ensure all financial information is accurate. These professionals are responsible for keeping an eye on the finances of a company and making sure that everything is running smoothly.
Internal auditors are often called upon to perform investigations or fraud prevention. They also provide advice and recommendations to management about how to better run the company's finances. In addition, internal auditors may review business processes and systems to make sure they meet certain requirements or standards.
The Institute of Internal Auditors
Established in 1941, The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) is an international professional association with global headquarters in Lake Mary, Florida, USA. The IIA is the internal audit profession's leader in standards, certification, education, research, and technical guidance throughout the world. Generally, members work in internal auditing, risk management, governance, internal control, information technology audit, education, and security.
Globally, The IIA has more than 235,000 members. The IIA in North America comprises nearly 150 chapters serving roughly 70,000 members in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean (Bahamas, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Curacao, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico), Bermuda, and Trinidad & Tobago. Members enjoy benefits offered by the North American Service Center, including local, national, and global professional networking; world-class training; certification; standards and guidance; research; executive development; career opportunities; and more. IIA members throughout North America enjoy free members-only webinars and member savings on national conferences such as the General Audit Management (GAM) and Ignite Conferences. And resources such as IIA Quality Services make The Institute an indispensable partner to you and your organization.
Houston Chapter IIA
The future of the profession is in the hands of the next generation, The IIA Houston Chapter is excited to have students join and benefit from membership. Eligibility has also
been expanded to include part-time students actively enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits.
An application IS required, including copies of transcripts. If you or someone you
know is eligible, please have them apply at https://myiia.theiia.org/Student/Index
Students consider becoming members of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), Houston Chapter for the following reasons:
- Access to discounted seminars: As a member, you will have the opportunity to attend seminars at a significantly reduced cost. This allows you to expand your knowledge and stay up-to-date with the latest trends and developments in the field of internal auditing.
- Networking events: Membership provides access to networking events, which are valuable opportunities to connect with professionals in the industry. Building a strong professional network can open doors to job opportunities and mentorship.
- IA job resources: The IIA offers job resources specifically tailored to internal auditors. By maintaining your membership, you can access these resources, such as job listings, to enhance your career prospects in the field.
- Complimentary Specialty Centers access: Membership grants you free access to the IIA's Specialty Centers, which provide specialized resources and guidance related to specific areas of internal auditing.
- Webinars: As a member, you can take advantage of over 12 monthly webinars exclusively available to members. These webinars cover various topics and provide valuable insights and knowledge.
- Expanded virtual training options: The IIA has expanded its virtual training options, allowing members to access high-quality training materials and courses online. This flexibility is especially beneficial for students who may have limited availability due to other commitments.
- Certification opportunities: By maintaining your membership, you gain access to online testing for certifications offered by the IIA. This can greatly enhance your professional credentials and career prospects.
- Resources: Membership provides access to practice guides, GTAGS (Global Technology Audit Guides), thought leadership content, and IA Magazine, which are excellent resources for staying informed and deepening your understanding of internal auditing.
- Member-only discounts: Members enjoy exclusive discounts on various resources and services offered by the IIA. These discounts can help students save money on valuable tools and materials.
Overall, joining the IIA as a student member not only provides numerous benefits but
also offers a platform for personal and professional growth in the field of internal
auditing. If you need assistance with your membership or would like more information
on the benefits, email
the Chapter VP of Membership, Michael McManus, at email@example.com.
IIA Career Center
Advance your internal audit career or strengthen your team with The IIA’s Audit Career Center resources and job portal.
CIA Review Course
Prepare to Pass the CIA Exam With The IIA’s CIA Learning System. If you’ve made the decision to enhance your
career by earning the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation, you can achieve
your goals with The IIA’s CIA Learning System™.
The IIA’s CIA Learning System is an interactive print and online self-study review program designed by CIA-certified industry experts to help you learn, review, and apply the key CIA content. This approach will help you build on foundational elements of internal auditing and master key concepts needed to pass the CIA exam.
This four-part program includes:
- Comprehensive print materials teaching the entire global CIA exam syllabus.
- Interactive online study tools:
- Pre- and post-tests to gauge your starting knowledge and advancements.
- Section quizzes to test your comprehension and retention.
- Flashcards and glossary.
- CIA practice exam to build confidence for the computer-based CIA exam.
For more information or to try a demo, visit www.LearnCIA.com. Members save up to US $100!