Safety is important to and for Everyone!
It is important to establish good general safety rules for everyone who enters hazardous classroom, laboratory, or shop areas. Implementing general safety rules will keep everyone healthy and provide the most productive environment for working or learning.
Post the rules where they can clearly be viewed at all times. Additionally, provide shop users with a written copy of the rules and discuss them to answer any questions or resolve any confusion shop users might have.
In Case of Injury or Contact with Harmful Chemicals
- In case of injury, no matter how slight, report it to the shop supervisor. The campus emergency phone number is 8-911.
- Contact with harmful chemicals should be reported immediately. Notify campus rescue at 8-911.
Report All Near Misses Incidents to Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) at x8040
Near misses are warning signals to potential accidents and injuries.
- You must wear safety glasses, cover goggles, or a face shields before entering the shop.
- Shoes must be worn in the shop. No one wearing sandals will be allowed to enter any shop area. The minimum footwear must cover the entire foot.
- Do not wear ties, loose clothing, jewelry, gloves, etc. when operating shop equipment
- Wear appropriate clothing for the job. Do not wear short sleeve shirts or short pants when welding.
- Follow all appropriate precautions when working with solvents, paints, adhesives or other chemicals. Use appropriate protective equipment. Review the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for specific handling and storage recommendations from the manufacture.
Before You Get Started
- Do not work in the hazardous area if you are tired, or in a hurry.
- Think through the entire job before starting. "Plan your work and work your plan."
- If you have never worked with a particular material, check the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for any specific precautions to be taken while working with the material. Also, ask the instructor or shop personnel before cutting any unusual material.
- Heavy sanding and painting should only be done in well ventilated areas.
- Check the condition of power cords and plugs on portable tools before using them. Do not use a tool that has a worn or damaged power cord/plug.
Conduct in the Work Area
- Never engage in horseplay in the hazardous classrooms, laboratories, or shop areas.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages before or during sessions. Do not bring food or snacks into the laboratory or shop.
- Don’t rush or take chances. Obey all safety rules.
Operating Machinery and Power Tools
- Do not operate any equipment unless you are familiar with its operation and you have been authorized to operate it. Questions regarding the use of equipment should be directed to the instructor or shop supervisor.
- No work using power tools is to be performed unless at least two people are:
- In the laboratory or shop area and
- Can see each other.
- Before starting a machine, always check it for correct setup and always check to see if the machine is clear.
- Machines must be shut off and locked-out before servicing.
- All machines must be operated with all guards and shields in place.
- Do not use your bare hands to remove chips and shavings from the machine. Use a brush or hook.
- Never use a rag near moving machinery.
- Do not strike a hardened tool or any machine with a hammer.
- Never use compressed air guns to clean clothing and hair or tools.
- Keep the floor around machines clean, dry and free from trip hazards. Do not allow chips to accumulate.
- Practice cleanliness and orderliness in the laboratoy and shop areas. Clean-up before you leave!
- Always store oily rags in an approved metal container.