Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators Accreditation

How do I report a crime or emergency?

To report an emergency or crime in progress (on-campus), call the UHD Police Department at 713-221-8911. Remember, people aren't suspicious, behavior is. When in doubt, report it!

How do I report a non-emergency?

To report a non-emergency situation, please call the UHD Police Department at 713-221-8065.

What is the UHD Police Department jurisdiction?

The Texas Education Code defines the UHD Police Department's primary jurisdiction as all counties in which property is owned, leased, rented or otherwise under the control of the University of Houston System Board of Regents and also includes streets contiguous to and running through the campus. Within a peace officer's primary jurisdiction, a peace officer commissioned under this section:

  • is vested with all the powers, privileges, and immunities of peace officers;
  • may, in accordance with Chapter 14, Code of Criminal Procedure, arrest without a warrant any person who violates a law of the state
  • may enforce all traffic laws on streets and highways

What crime occurs most often on campus?

Minor theft of property occurs most frequently. We urge all UHD students, faculty, staff and visitors to never leave wallets, purses, jewelry and other valuables unattended. For more information on crime statistics, please visit the UHD Police Department Crime Statistics webpage.

How do I request a police escort?

To request an escort to your vehicle, visit the Police Department in Suite N118 or notify the police dispatcher via any police call box or call 713-221-8065. We recommend saving this non-emergency number to your cell phone. This service is available 24 hours a day.

How do I request a copy of an accident or incident report?

To request a copy of an accident report, incident report and/or information report, visit the UHD Police Department (Suite N118 in the One Main Building) and complete a Texas Public Information Act Request Form. Processing of the form can take up to 10 business days.

Completed forms are forwarded to the UH System Office of General Counsel for that office to determine, in accordance with applicable Texas law, what, if any, of the information requested will be released. An attorney from the UH System Office will then contact you in the time allowed under Texas law. Requests for copies will not be honored unless the Texas Public Information Act Request Form is signed and completed.

If my vehicle won’t start, what can I do?

If you have a dead battery, UHD’s Motorist Assistance (police personnel) is available to help you. To request assistance, contact the Police Department at 713-221-8065 or notify the police dispatcher via any police call box. Vehicles parked in covered parking garages will be accommodated.

Do I need a parking permit to park on campus?

The University of Houston-Downtown Police Department enforces parking regulations. All parking on campus is by permit only. Parking fees vary by semester and are subject to change. For complete information regarding parking costs, information and locations, please visit the Parking & Transportation Services webpage.

How do I appeal a parking citation?

To appeal parking citations, complete the Parking Citation Appeal form. Bring the completed form (along with the original Parking Citations) to Parking Services (Suite N354 in the One Main Building) for processing.

I received a citation, what do I do?

A citation may be issued for traffic violations and for most Class C misdemeanors. Resolution of citations are as follows:

  • You have the right to a trial by judge or jury by appearing on the stated court date and time on the citation.
  • Pay the fine at the appropriate Justice of the Peace Court.
  • Failure to pay fine and/or appear on court date as promised may result in a warrant for your arrest being issued by the appropriate Justice of the Peace.