Skip to main content

Credit for Military Service

House Bill 269 makes military veterans who enroll in Texas universities and meet certain requirements eligible to receive undergraduate credit for the time they spent in the service. Eligible veterans receive college credit for all the required physical education courses needed for their degree and up to an additional 12 credit hours of elective course work.

Note: Credit awarded under HB 269 is awarded for having served, not for college-level courses that might have been taken while in the military. There is a separate process for this type of military credit.

Eligibility criteria

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the US Department of Defense.
  • Completed at least two years of service in the armed forces (or discharged because of a disability).
  • Been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces

Proof of eligibility

All students interested in receiving HB 269 military credit must provide the Military Service Credit Request Form and a copy of the DD-214 member 4 to the Office of the Registrar.

Requesting and Accepting Credit

University of Houston- Downtown does not have any degree programs that require physical education courses so we will not award any credit for physical education under HB 269. If you meet the HB 269 eligibility requirements you may receive up to 12 credit hours for general elective coursework to satisfy the degree requirements.

All UHD degree programs do not have opportunities for general elective course work so you will need to speak with your academic advisor to determine the number of credits to request/accept based on the number of general electives in your degree plan. As a result, some veterans may want to request all 12 credit hours or it may better serve others to accept fewer than 12 credit hours. Students can request 3, 6, 9 or the full 12 credit hours.

UHD will not accept HB 269 credit that has been granted by other institutions. You will need to complete the Military Service Credit Request Form and appropriate documentation to receive this credit.

Military Service Credits will not be removed once awarded. Students should understand how military service credits affect:

  • Your eligibility for a tuition rebate
  • Texas B-On Time loan forgiveness
  • Excess credit hours that may result in higher tuition and
  • Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements

Students should consult their academic advisor for advice on the number of credits from military service that can be used in their degree program to avoid possible negative effects.