Apply to Graduate
University of Houston-Downtown awards degrees three times in the academic year: December, May, and August. Commencement ceremonies are held during Fall and Spring semesters. All students must file for graduation the semester before they are planning to graduate. Graduation applications are submitted online only through myUHD account. To determine eligibility to apply for graduation, please review the checklist below:
- MyDegree Evaluation
If the electronic audit reads “NOT MET,” this does NOT mean you are not graduating. There may be some unarticulated or unapplied credits in your academic history. Please consult your College Advisor to make sure of your pending/outstanding requirements. Please continue to apply if you believe you are on target.
- Contact college advisor if you have any questions regarding general credit petitions based on degree evaluation. The following are example of credit petitions:
Waivers - courses that could be met by foreign credit or other exemption that will not require student to take course
Substitutions - courses that are being used to satisfy another course that is currently required
Articulation - transfer courses that are not showing up correctly in your degree evaluation
- Credit petitions can be requested before you apply for graduation
- Register for current and graduating semester
- All holds should be cleared
Graduation Application Deadlines
Term Deadlines Fall 2023 April 3 - September 6, 2023 Spring 2024 November 1, 2023 – January 31, 2024 Summer 2024 TBD Fall 2024 TBD
To File for Graduation all steps below must be completed:
Graduation Application: Students can apply online for graduation through their myUHD account. An instructional video “How to Apply for Graduation” can be found here as a guide. Students will be asked the following during their application:
- Program and Term Selection: Select the degree or certificate plan, and then the term in which you wish to apply for.
- Commencement Attendance: Confirm if you plan to attend the commencement ceremony. If you select “yes”, you will be asked to provide the pronunciation of your name. Should you change your attendance decision after submitting your graduation application please, contact the Registrar’s Office via email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information regarding commencement, visit the UHD Commencement web site.
- Special Accommodations: If you will require special accommodations at the commencement ceremony, please contact the Office of Disability Services at email@example.com, or 713-221-8148.
- Number of Diploma Copies: Students can request up to 3 copies of their diplomas through the online graduation application. Each copy costs $50. Students that wish to request more than 3 copies must contact the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current Coursework: Students are asked to list any courses they are taking at another institution (other than UHD) that are required to meet their degree or certificate requirements.
- Graduation Application Payment: A pop up message will appear verifying the amount the student will be charged for their graduation application ($50), and the amount they were be charged if additional copies of their diploma were requested.
- After Submitting the Graduation Application: Students have the ability to log back into their application to update their Diploma Name and Diploma Mailing Address anytime throughout the semester.
For more information on the online graduation application process, degree evaluation, or diplomas, please contact the Registrar’s Office at email@example.com.