Skip to main content

Release of Student Records

UHD has a policy in conformity with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) covering the release of student records. Student rights include the following:

  • Students have the right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the university receives the request.
  • Students have the right to request amendment of their education records that they believe are inaccurate or misleading.
  • Students have the right to consent to the disclosure of personally identifiable information in their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  • Students have the right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Directory Information

At its discretion the University of Houston-Downtown may provide directory information to the general public without student consent. Directory information is defined by University of Houston-Downtown (within the guidelines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) as follows:

  • Student’s name
  • Mailing address
  • Primary Telephone number
  • University assigned e-mail address
  • Classification
  • Enrollment status
  • Major and minor fields of study
  • Degrees, certificates, awards and honors received
  • Dates of attendance
  • Graduation date
  • Expected graduation date
  • The most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student (higher education)

Students may request that directory information be withheld from the public by contacting the Registrar’s Office at any time during the semester. Such requests must be made in writing and will remain in place until the student directs the office in writing that it is to be removed.

Confidentiality Request and Revoke Confidentiality Request Form

Disclosure of Education Records
The University of Houston-Downtown will not disclose information from a student’s education records without the written consent of the student except in the following instances in which FERPA authorizes disclosure without prior student consent:
  1. To school officials who have a legitimate educational or administrative interest in the records. A school official is defined as a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position (including the University’s police department and health care staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a person assisting another school official in performing his or her official duties. A school official has a legitimate education interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities.
  2. To other schools in which the student seeks to enroll.
  3. To authorized representatives of the U.S. Secretary of Education, the U.S. Comptroller General, and state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs; and the U.S. Attorney General for law enforcement purposes.
  4. In connection with a student’s request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.
  5. To state and local officials or authorities in accordance with state law.
  6. To organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the University to develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; administer student aid programs; or improve instruction.
  7. To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions.

Third Party Release of Student Information & Records
You may authorize persons other than yourself to access information if you voluntarily elect to do so. Depending on your individual status, your parents/other individuals may not have immediate access to your records without your written permission. In order to grant individuals other than yourself access to your student record information, you can complete the Authorization to Release Student Information Form. Please complete this form and submit to the Registrar’s Office. You may need a copy of this form to present to other offices within UHD that you may authorize individuals to access information from (such as: Academic Advising, academic departments, financial aid, student accounting, etc).

For additional details on your rights under FERPA, see the UHD Catalog and the links provided below.

Other related links: